Friday, 1 May 2015

Bunad

"Bunad",
our traditional national costume will roughly get worn once a year:
On the 17th of May which is Norway's National Day.
If you are lucky you'll get to wear it twice in a year, to christenings and so forth.
For me it has been over 15 years since I last wore my traditional costume.
It actually shrunk in the closet, (can you believe it, those pesky little animals that makes your clothes smaller....in no way has it to do with me expanding my waist line...), so I had to borrow my mum's to a party I attended in Norway.
The bunad shows which area of Norway you are from and they are all so very different.
There are a lot of details and I am really proud of my mother's bunad, which was hand made by my great grandmother. Details everywhere. 
The belt and the scarf.
"Bringkluten" which has about a thousand beads embroidered onto it.
All the "bunads" are different.
Here is a different one, from Sogn og Fjordane:
All hand embroidered. 
All blinged up with silver and gold. 
In 14 days I am back in Bergen to celebrate our National Day. 
Hopefully by then my own bunad will fit me. 





3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and reminds me when I was a kid I had friends who came from Poland and went to a Polish Catholic school and on Holidays and special events they would dress up in traditional wear, my sister always thought it was so cool.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful - it's lovely to keep to traditions:) Have a great day, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the amazing details and the fact that you still keep tradition so alive!

    ReplyDelete