Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia seeds

The humble chia seed has been around for centuries
I only just discovered it around 5 years ago, knowing that it is a healthy little seed and I used to sprinkle it on my salads, in my banana smoothies and in my muesli. I must admit I was never a really big fan of the texture or how "weird" it looked when it came in contact with liquid.

"Chia" is the Mayan word for strength and the Mayan people understood the important health benefits of this little magical seed.

Firstly, it is packed with fiber with so much as 11 grams of fibre per ounce.
Chia absorb up to 12 times their weight and expand in your stomach, making you feel fuller and curbing your apetite. (It is GREAT to eat for breakfast as it keeps me sustained until around midday).They are a concentrated source of Omega 3 fatty acids and believe it or not have more Omega 3 than salmon...really!
Chia seeds can also help promote better bone and oral health and contains 27 percent of your daily value of phosphorus that helps your body repair itself faster.

I have since gotten used to the texture and "funniness" of the Chia seed and I now use it every morning.

Here's how:
I put them in a bowl the night before and let them soak overnight in coconut milk, (you don't need that much soaking time, as they will expand in about ten minutes I just really like how when I put the mixture out of the fridge the next morning almost all the coconut milk is gone).
(You can off course use any other liquid).
I also add some nuts, dried fruit etc. into the mixture.
Come morning I will add some fresh fruit and some more coconut milk and mix it all together.
The last week I have also found some excellent blueberries that I have mixed into the mix plus cinnamon. (Yes, anything I can put cinnamon on I will).
Yum!
and the added bonus of it actually being super healthy for you.



9 comments:

  1. I love chia seeds...I have them almost every day! Soaking them in coconut milk sounds like such a great idea...definitely want to try it!

    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I didn't know you could eat the seeds. I always think of it as a tea. I will have to keep this in mind.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks very healthy. Might actually try it out...

    http://www.culturewithcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my sweet Hildi!
    this loos absolutely appetizing ansd super tasty! got to try this asap!
    wish you a lovely weekend babe!
    a big hug

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't gotten used to chia seeds and have since stopped eating it. I need to try it again. Amazing post.

    Kay of Pure & Complex
    http://www.purecomplex.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this same recipe! I also add some yogurt for thickness :) But aren't chia seeds great?! I love all the healthy benefits we get from them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chia seeds too
    It's very healthy
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat chia daily as well...It's such a great little gem, isn't it? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. just sending you a warm hug!
    kisses my dear Hildi

    ReplyDelete