Thursday, 23 June 2011

Chai Tea


So while John is busy with either surf or climbing up and down a very rickety ladder varnishing the bamboo, I've been busy finishing up the guesthouse and making some more necklaces. It's really windy here so with the wind comes the big chill factor and I've been downing tea like it is going out of fashion.
Ever since Sally introduced me to Chai Tea at Biku Tea house in Bali a year ago I've been totally in awe of it. I still remember us walking in to the tea house, me ordering a Ginger Tea and she this Chai Tea that came out in a beautiful never-ending tea pot, while my ginger tea was served in a glass and downed within minutes. (Until this day I still regret not ordering the Chai latte).
Ever since then when I go back to Biku I will always order the Chai Tea and I will be back in July with my camera so I can show you how awesome the place is.
Nevertheless, I found a recipe on how to make it so this morning I've been able to enjoy my own Chai. (No where near as good as Biku's).

If you want to try it here goes:
1 black tea bag
1 stick of cinnamon, (5-10cm long)
2 cups milk/soy milk
2 tablespoons raw sugar or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 peeled ginger cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

:In a small saucepan combine tea bag, the cinnamon stick and 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 mins. Remove and discard teabag and cinnamon stick. Stir in the milk, sugar, vanilla, ginger, cardamom and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture is heated through. (Do not boil). Pour into mugs and serve. (This recipe makes 2-3 servings, or 1 big one).


1 comment:

  1. You are missing a critical ingredient, cloves. Add three or four to the pot. Will discuss the finer points of how to make the perfect chai over a cup or two.

    ReplyDelete